Saturday, January 28, 2012

Leaving on a jet plane...!

22 January 2012

Packed and ready to go! Byeeeee Stevie!


What a long journey, but I'm finally here in beautiful Suid Afrika. Travel time broke down like this:
Orlando to JFK – 3 hours 
JFK to Amsterdam – 7.5 hours 
(Layover in Amsterdam – 2 hours – Met my first Afrikaaner, he was GREAT! Also met a kid from Boston who’s going to College of Charleston next year. He told me he wants to live in McAlister!)
Amsterdam to Cape Town – 12 hours – Watched Lion King to prepare for Africa. 
Cape Town to Stellenbosch – 30-minute drive, arrived on campus just after midnight.

Door to door travel time – 32 hours. But I felt chipper!

Hestea, our “SA mom” and her assistant Janien, who just graduated from Stellenbosch (affectionately referred to as ‘Stellies’), met us at the airport. The first thing we had to do off the plane was figure out who and where we were going to live for the next five months. No pressure.

We had the choice to live in either Academia or Concordia.
Academia = cramped rooms. Not wireless. Live with one other person. No washer/dryer. No air conditioning. No oven. A space so small for appliances it could barely be called a kitchenette.
Concordia = Huge and beautiful! Big kitchen. Big common room. Live with 3 other people. Laundry room. Wireless.

Ummm I was dying for Academia. Hestea only needed 4 girls to volunteer to live there, and when my hand shot up, it wasn’t met with much competition. It is the College Lodge of Stellenbosch! I turned to the girl I knew only from Pinterest, and she pins cool things, so I asked if she wanted to live there too. She said YEAAAHHHHH and it’s been love ever since. We are perfect roommates, 2 peas in a pod.

The boys in our group (all 4 of them) ended up living in Academia as well. When we pulled up and unloaded, Janien took the boys to their rooms and showed them around, telling us ladies to stay back and wait for her. We weren’t alone for long when 3 young men found us, eager to help us with our bags. They are international students from France, and they are our neighbors! They are SO fun and it was quite an interesting first night…let’s just say I made the right move in picking Academia. 





Except for the showers. I flooded the bathroom with my first one. Good thing I hate showering anyway. 












  At least I get my own room!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah! You posted! I can't tell you how excited I am for you to have this adventure. Love every minute of it - so glad we get to read about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha I hate showering too!!! Maybe Suid Afrika is the place for me! and uh FRENCH BOYS!!! we must talk oui?!?!?! <3 hahah

    ReplyDelete