Sunday, January 29, 2012

So Lekker

28 January 2012

CAPE TOWN RULES. Hah! Best day ever! We took the buses in the morning and had an enthusiastic tour guide lead the way. We took a slight detour on the way into the city to drive through a township called Khayelitsha.


 It was incredible to see the contrast of beautiful Stellenbosch to this underdeveloped neighborhood. Over 1.5 million people live there. We are going to have the opportunity to go back to the township later in the semester if we want to walk around and speak with the locals, which I absolutely want to do.


When we got into Cape Town, the tour guide let us all out into a gorgeous park and said to meet back there in 45 minutes. I was walking around with 3 girls I’ve come to adore, and we enjoyed the park. We even saw some children street-dancing, and if I can figure out how to put a video on here I’ll show you!





 It was beautiful! But by the time we got back to where the bus was supposed to be, no one was there….You have GOT to be kidding me. I was actually fine, comforting my stressed out friends saying “there are worse places to be stranded.” Turns out we hadn’t been abandoned at all, we were just on the wrong side of the park. Whew! 

We then went to the waterfront and Victoria’s wharf. I’ll let the pictures here speak for themselves:

 




That is one of the stadiums for the World Cup!








                            Victoria's Wharf


WHATUP DOLPHINS??

Our last stop for the day was the beach. As a media studies major and a big fan of words, it frustrates me that I can’t find the right ones to describe it.



 I cannot wait to spend more time exploring Cape Town. We will definitely be back!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not even there and experiencing these things and yet IM speechless as well. I LOVED your video of the children street-dancing SO COOL i love you!!! and SO HAPPY you have this blog <3

    yhhhhhhujkkkkkkkk
    -P.S. that was Minnie walking over my keyboard when I was typing this...I think that's cat for "IM JEALOUS AND MISS YOU LOVE, MINNIE" but it's just a guess. <3

    ReplyDelete