Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Doo Bee Doo

26 February 2012

So it’s been a while…so sorry about that lovely readers! I also need to apologize for my last one-liner…didn’t know some of you get emails when I write. So the preservative post might have been a letdown of an update, but hey, I was really upset and thought only Americans would understand my frustration.

I think my lack of writing is correlated with the fact that I am finally settling into my regular routine. We are now fully engaged in classes and student life, and it has been an incredible adjustment!

My class schedule is one for the books:
Mondays and Fridays: LSCE – 8 AM – 4 PM
Tuesdays and Thursdays: Afrikaans – 2 – 4:30 PM
Wednesdays: Reparations after Violation of Human Rights – 2 – 5 PM

…And that’s it. How amazing is that?? My Afrikaans teacher is absolutely hysterical. She is very loud, very expressive, very passionate about everything she teaches us. She likes to say she’s focusing on “Survival Afrikaans,” so basically, how to order in a bar and how to tell someone they are very beautiful. NO I’M KIDDING, she teaches us other things too. J And she ends every class “And so, my brothers and sisters, go in peace.”

My political science class has been wonderful. Terry Savage, our professor, is brilliant and kind and creative with how he teaches. I’ve only had the class three times so far, but I can tell I am going to learn a lot.

This leaves LSCE: Learning for Sustainable Community Engagement. I’ll dedicate the next post to that.

I’ve also finally had the chance to join some societies on campus! One is the Pulp Film Society. Basically we pay $20 for a semester membership that allows us to see any movie any time. They have a different schedule every week with different movies each night and they host themed parties. What a deal!

My roommate and I also joined the AdLib Society. It’s basically Who’s Line Is It Anyway, an improv club with some of the most wonderful people I’ve met in Stellenbosch yet! I am seriously obsessed with AdLib. The people are weird and welcoming and hilarious. They just had their first show last night – it was great to hang out with all of them and we have plans for Friday night now! Yaaaaay local friends!

And since no post should go without a photo, here's 4 baboons that held up traffic on last weekend's trip to the Cederbergs...

No comments:

Post a Comment