Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Officially a Matie!

7 February 2012

School has begun (for most) and we are finally official students at the Univeristy of Stellenbosch! To prove it, we ventured to the office to get our student ID’s. One girl in our group, Emily E-DAWG Davies, has a pair of fake hipster glasses she was donning that day. I had an idea that would bond this group of Americans for the rest of the semester, if I could get everyone on board…We would pass the glasses from person to person for everyone’s picture. And since South Africa attracts only the coolest people ever, everyone was gung-ho for this plan. The photographer was amused. 

Our student-hood was celebrated at the first rugby match of the season. The Danie Craven stadium is unlike anything I have ever seen before, and there was so much school spirit I almost cried.
 I am finally in a big-campus environment! I don’t understand rugby at all and the announcer was speaking Afrikaans, but it sure was fun to cheer when all the other Maties were cheering. Oh, and we won. 52-2. I felt like I was back at Celebration High School, only on the opposing team that kicked our butts every week. It was a good feeling.
Yesterday, Monday the 6th, we started our Learning Service and Community Engagement class, a program I had to apply to separately. I don’t think I can write about it just yet – after one day I was so inspired and overwhelmed that I am going to wait until Friday, the next class, to attempt to put it all down in words here. I can safely say now that this is exactly what I’ve been waiting for, and this will be the most worthwhile experience I could have during my time here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment