Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Red, Red Wiiine...Get Out Of My Haaair...

         I owe a heartfelt apology to my millions of loyal readers.  I can only imagine the blood, sweat, and tears that were shed while camping out in front of Barnes and Noble…nail-biting, hair-pulling, dreaming about what could possibly be taking so long for the release of my final book. But then I remember I am not JK Rowling and this blog is not the Harry Potter series, so I doubt your anticipation for my next post has been that extreme. The lack of writing is definitely not correlated with a lack of material…it’s been a heck of a three weeks! For now, I'll just focus on two of my recent favorite days.
          Ginny, Sam, Brooke, Zack and I joined some local friends for a wine festival in Paarl, which is just 30 minutes away from Stellenbosch and the cutest town you ever did see! The festival was unreal. R70 (less than $10) bought you your own Ommiberg wine glass and entry to 13 surrounding wine farms, each with tastings, live music, and activities elaborate enough that any one of them could have been a fantastic festival on its’ own. 

Zack rode a horse for the first time...
I got my face painted with the South African flag...
We stomped grapes...
Oh yeah, and we casually swam in a pool full of red wine...
It was one of the most fun days I’ve had in South Africa so far. Thanks Liz!!!
          
          This past Sunday, AIFS treated us to another extraordinary excursion. Kirstenbosch, South Africa’s largest botanical garden, is also THE COOLEST concert venue I have ever seen. We saw Freshlyground, a favorite local band who is featured in Shakira’s “Waka Waka!” 
          Days like these always remind me how incredibly lucky I am to be here. Every experience has me reiterating the exact same thought I had on my first day at College of Charleston: I hope I never get used to this

No comments:

Post a Comment