Friday, May 4, 2012

21 and Surrounded By Monkeys

An overnight bus ride with 20 of your favorite people is a seriously underestimated good time, especially when those hours are spent taking you to the Kalahari desert. The weekend was filled with an active game drive, an awkward boat ride, white-water rafting, campfire conversation, and birthday celebration.




We were in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, which is over 3 million acres of land throughout South Africa, Botswana, and Namibia. It is a completely untouched park...no animals are brought in and no animals are taken out. It is African wildlife in its purest form, and we were so lucky to see as much action as we did!!!      

 This leopard was one of my absolute favorites from the whole day. It is extremely rare to see one...our guide told us this guy was only the second he's ever seen on a game drive!
 We saw the last few moments of this Springbok's life before a pack of cheetahs just went to town. Absolutely incredible to watch. 
The game drive was by far, hands down, every other cliche way to say "DEFINITELY" one of my favorite experiences in this country.

The next day, we packed up camp and drove a few more hours southeast to the Augrabies Falls, a spectacular sight. It was there that I got so sick of my crutches that I chucked one down the waterfall. Well it wasn't quite so dramatic, but I did accidentally drop one from the lookout point. It is now floating down the Orange River, forever lost in the African wilderness. As we watched it go down, the first thing out of my mouth (after hysterical laughter) was "That was a rental..." Going to have to reimburse the doctor for that one =\

On Monday April 30th, I woke up 21 and surrounded by monkeys. There were dozens of them in and around our campsite...typical Africa. We then spent the morning white-water rafting! I can't remember ever laughing as hard as when Sam and I capsized. We left that night for another overnight drive back to Stellenbosch and the sunset was absolutely unreal. I honestly don't think I have ever seen such a brilliant combination of color, enhanced only by the shadow of a never-ending line of mountains. I felt like it was Mother Nature's personal painting, a birthday present just for me. I spent the majority of the drive home with a big goofy grin on my face, completely in awe of the past few days.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I think you win for best 21st birthday ever! Happy Birthday again and I am sorry about your foot - hobbling around on crutches is no fun!!

    ReplyDelete